Scan me or visit www.sparkachange.org.uk/o/YFW-Bloodbikes-Yeovil-Freewheelers/opportunities/Secretary/46169 to join
SummaryYFW requires a Secretary to join the Executive Committee to help us to ensure the
general smooth running of the organisation.
YFW requires a Secretary to join the Executive Committee to help us to ensure the general smooth running of the organisation, to organise meetings and to make sure that the administrative requirements of the Charities’ Commission are fulfilled.
Commitment Approx. 2 days per month: General Meetings and Committee Meetings are held monthly at two week separation, usually on a Thursday evening from 19:00 to 21:00; Trustees’ Meetings are held four times per year.
The Yeovil Freewheelers (YFW) Emergency Voluntary Service (EVS) is a Registered Charity (No. 299434), founded in 1978 by Mr. Cecil Turner. YFW (EVS) is the longest serving Blood Bike group in the country. Operating from Yeovil District Hospital and Dorset County Hospital, Dorchester, we provide a 24-hour service to deliver a fast, safe and effective emergency medical courier capability throughout the South-West, serving hospitals, hospices, care and nursing homes, laboratories and patients discharged to their own homes. YFW carries urgently needed blood and blood products, blood samples, biopsies, MRI scans, X-rays, medicines, a variety of medical equipment and patients’ notes. The service is provided free of charge to the NHS, relying entirely on our volunteers and on public donations. YFW is a member of the Nationwide Association of Blood Bikes (NABB).
The Role involves
- Plan and prepare the Committee Meetings and General Meetings, including EGM, AGM etc. in accordance with the Constitution and Charities’ Commission requirements: a) Planning meeting dates, booking rooms (or video conferences), sending out notifications, invitations, reminders, minutes and other papers. b) Drawing up agendas together with the Chair. c) Ensure nominations for committee positions are received in time and in the correct format. d) Ensure voting procedures are followed correctly.
- Minute committee meetings or ensure that another minute taker is available. Accurately record decisions and actions in the minutes and report to the next committee meeting on the progress of actions and the result of decisions.
- Report directly to the Chairman. Keep Members properly informed by distributing meeting minutes and other relevant information.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date, GDPR compliant membership records and distribution lists. Management and control of master documents (electronic and paper copies).
- Make arrangements for reporting to be done in the correct format and ensure that the information held by the Charities’ Commission is up-to-date.
- Deal with correspondence, writing letters/emails as agreed at committee meeting and drafting replies as appropriate.
- Act as first point of contact for any complaints.
- Minute Trustee meetings.
- Any other reasonable duties.
You will be able to;
- Maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Acquire a good knowledge of YFW’s constitution.
- Give clear advice on procedural matters.
- Be organised and methodical.
- Take good minutes. Keep accurate records. Organise a meeting well.
- A good team player.
- Knowledge of hospital transport services would be an advantage
What we will provide to volunteers🤝 Extra support
About YFW Bloodbikes (Yeovil Freewheelers)
YFW provide emergency courier relief to countless NHS organisations in Somerset and Dorset, carrying blood, medicines, samples and medical equipment to name a few, between hospitals, care homes, patients and laboratories. The team consists of a fleet of eight motorcycles, delivering completely free of charge to the NHS.
During the peak of the COVID-19 pandemic, the fleet volunteered to taking on double the workload for Yeovil Hospital and other surrounding hospitals, which included the daily delivery of 1000’s of COVID-19 swabs throughout the country for testing daily. Throughout the peak, the team were covering nearly 25,000 miles a month; compared to the 10,000 they were doing pre-COVID.