RNLI Volunteer Shop Manager
Scan me or visit www.sparkachange.org.uk/o/RNLI/opportunities/RNLI-Volunteer-Shop-Manager/45003 to join
SummaryThis role will help us save lives at sea by promoting the work of the RNLI within the local community and tourist population.
The RNLI shops started life as simple cake stalls, run by volunteers and their supporters to raise money for the local Lifeboats and stations. These stalls started selling commemorative RNLI products in around 1920 and quickly moved on to selling souvenirs and Christmas cards. The first shop to be run as part of an actual station opened in 1990.
For many people, buying something from an RNLI shop will be the first time that they come into contact with our Charity, and as a volunteer shop manager/co-ordinator you could be the person that engages them and the other shop volunteers to support us now, and in the future. Your welcoming, organised and efficient nature will ensure that our shops are a friendly and attractive place to shop, fully representing the RNLI values.
The impact you will make
This role will help us save lives at sea by promoting the work of the RNLI within the local community and tourist population, raising awareness of safety messages and generating life-saving funds.
What you will be doing
- Recruiting volunteers to assist in the shop, with support from the Community Manager. ensuring all shop volunteers receive a timely induction and ongoing management in line with RNLI volunteer management guidance
- Training volunteers in operating the till, cashing up and using the credit card machine
- Ensuring the smooth day-to-day running of the shop, following the relevant guidelines and policies and maximising the shop’s potential turnover by co-ordinating volunteers and delegating where necessary
- Interacting with customers, providing a high level of customer service and ensuring that the shop is a friendly and welcoming place
- Ensuring that all shop volunteers champion the RNLI, it’s One Crew ethos and build its reputation in the local area
What you need for this role
- Good communication skills and personable manner
- Ability to contribute as part of a team
- Organisational skills
- Willingness to be proactive within the local community
- Customer service related skills or experience
What’s in it for you
- Join an inclusive and diverse organisation
- Have fun, meet new people and join a motivated and enthusiastic team who are making a difference
- Learn skills and gain experience to enhance your CV
- Gain the satisfaction of giving back
- Training to fulfil your volunteer role will be provided and reasonable out of pocket expenses reimbursed
RNLI crews and lifeguards have saved over 142,700 lives since 1824 but we’re more than a rescue service. We influence, supervise and educate people too. Our Community Safety teams explain the risks and share safety knowledge with anyone going out to sea or to the coast. And our international teams work with like-minded organisations to help tackle drowning in communities at risk all around the world.