Taunton and Mid Somerset Branch - Parkinson's UK
SummaryWould you like to make a difference to people affected by Parkinson's in the Taunton and Somerset area?
Parkinson's UK local groups offer friendship, support, and numerous activities for people affected by Parkinson's.
In the Taunton area, the group is a core part of the local Parkinson's community. As a committee volunteer you'll help connect people to the group, whilst making sure existing members stay up to date with the activities provided. You could have a hand in arranging activities too, whether it's a chance for friends and family of those living with Parkinson's to meet or visit a local garden- all activities are open to you too.
You'll build existing connections, and meet new people in your local area, all whilst making a difference to those living with Parkinson's in the Taunton area.
The group meets each month, with meetings in different parts of the Taunton and mid Somerset area and but many of our volunteers undertake parts of their roles from home - at a time that suits you. This is a flexible role, and you could be doing any or all of the tasks on the role description - speak to your staff contact for more detail.
Why we want you
Local groups across the UK are run by volunteers and offer friendship and support to people living with Parkinson's and their families and friends. Each group has a committee, who work together to plan the groups activities or fundraising - all in line with Parkinson's UK guidelines.
What you will be doing
- Keep up to date about the news and developments of Parkinson's UK more widely, sharing these with the group
- contributing ideas for fundraising, activities and speakers
- sharing experiences with the committee and connecting with the local community
- helping to prepare for and clear up after group meetings
- assisting at fundraising events and any activities arranged by the branch
- taking notes / minutes at meetings and events
The skills you need
- be a good communicator, as you will be working with a wide range of different people
- Honest; you'll know when to ask for help, or when tasks might be seen as less important, and able to share that with Parkinson's UK and your group
- be collaborative and team focused, as you will take part in regular meetings and discussions
- be motivated and reliable, and able to show patience and empathy when dealing with sensitive situations
What's in it for you
- Play a crucial role in the local Parkinson's community, making new friends and building connections
- You'll be part of a pioneering organisation, committed to finding a cure and improving life for everyone affected by Parkinson's - in your local area and beyond
- Gain valuable organisational, administrative and people skills
It's important that people affected by Parkinson’s can trust us with their personal information. In this role you could be handling personal or sensitive data, so by undertaking this role you'll need to complete our Advanced Data Protection training. Your Parkinson’s UK staff contact can help you do this.
What we will provide to volunteers💸 Reimbursement of costs🤝 Extra support
About Parkinson's UK
We were founded in 1969 by volunteers. More than 40 years on, volunteers are central to everything we do. We have volunteering opportunities all over the country in our local groups, at our fundraising events, in our research work, our media work and more.