Scan me or visit www.sparkachange.org.uk/o/wwwmindinsomersetorguk/opportunities/Befriender-Role/41946 to join
SummaryAs a Befriender, you will be working with individuals who are experiencing emotional and mental health problems and require support from someone who understands
As a Befriender, you will be working with individuals who are experiencing emotional and mental health problems and require support from someone who understands. This connection may be made over the phone, by remote meeting or face-to-face. You will have empathy and the desire to support and encourage others on their individual recovery journeys.
· Offering listening support (via telephone/online initially) to individuals who are receiving support from the project, recognising when someone may need more help and checking to make sure plans, referrals etc are happening.
· providing practical information and signposting to other agencies as appropriate
· helping to access community facilities and resources
· showing understanding, acceptance and empathy.
· supporting individuals to develop ideas for coping strategies and problem-solving skills
· help individuals identify their own hopes, dreams and aspirations and to explore opportunities and ways to realise them
What we will provide to volunteers💸 Reimbursement of costs🤝 Extra support
About Mind In Somerset Sedgemoor Community Support Project
The Mind in Somerset Sedgemoor Community Support Project offers support to residents old and new, living in Sedgemoor and West Somerset. We recognise that as communities grow and change there can be pressures and stresses such as isolation and loneliness, housing and employment which can affect mental health and wellbeing.
We offer a 1:1 “drop – in” support service in our Bridgwater office with local 1:1 support meetings around Sedgemoor and West Somerset. We provide a safe space to discuss these stresses. We support access to specialist mental health services, debt and employment advice, community activities and opportunities to improve mental health and wellbeing.
With partner organisations and other local support services we offer community awareness days around the region.
Our “drop-in” sessions are available :
Mind In Somerset, Bridgwater Town Hall, High St, Bridgwater, TA6 3AS.
Monday and Friday mornings 9am – 1pm
Wednesday afternoon 2 – 5pm.
Other times are by appointment and in other venues around Sedgemoor and West Somerset.
**In line with current COVID-19 guidelines, we are currently offering telephone and digital support Monday - Friday 9am – 5pm. We are reviewing this regularly and will keep the website updated