Meet and Greet Volunteer
Scan me or visit www.sparkachange.org.uk/o/english-heritage/opportunities/Meet-and-Greet-Volunteer/45725 to join
SummaryWe are looking for Meet and Greet volunteers to welcome visitors to the castle and help them to engage with the history of the castle.
Why does English Heritage need my support?
Farleigh Hungerford Castle is a beautifully-sited conundrum: a decadent medieval mansion built within impressive fortifications. We are looking for Meet and Greet volunteers to welcome visitors to the castle and help to set them on their way to an engaging experience delving into the impressive and sometimes sinister past of the Hungerford’s.
On the role training, uniform and travel expenses provided.
Where will I be based?
Farleigh Hungerford Castle, nr. Bath, Somerset, BA2 7RS.
What will I be doing?
As a Meet and Greet Volunteer you will provide warm and friendly welcome to visitors.
As the first point of contact you will:
· Provide a welcome to the visitors at the gatehouse entrance or car park
· Advise people where to park
· Give a brief orientation to the site including information about any activities and car park closing times
· Ensure all visitors know where to check in at admissions
· Advise people on where to find guidebooks etc
· Inform people with disabilities that they can alight from their vehicles in the outer court
· Provide a taster to visitors of the fascinating history of the Hungerford family at the castle.
How much time will I be expected to give?
Volunteers will be expected to fulfil a three hour shift over weekend or school holiday days at least once a fortnight.
What skills, qualities and experience do I need?
We are looking for confident, effective communicators and team players, who have a positive attitude to working with visitors to enhance their visit. Volunteers in this role will have to stand for long periods and will have to spend time outside in all weathers.
What support and training will I receive?
Full training will be provided by English Heritage and will include:
· Familiarisation with site and staff
· Induction and health and safety training
· Role-specific training
· On-going monitoring and support from the site team to maintain consistency in delivery.
What will English Heritage expect from me?
· To be the friendly face of English Heritage and deliver excellent customer service
· To be reliable in attendance and dependable
· Help us maintain the highest standards of presentation at our sites and properties
· To wear English Heritage volunteer uniform where provided
· Help us protect our properties and collections by understanding and following our security and safety procedures
· Maintain good working relationships with staff, other volunteers and members of the public
· Attend appropriate training and learn about the work of English Heritage
· Observe organisational policy and procedures
· Safeguard confidential information about English Heritage and let us know about anything relating to your role or the work of English Heritage that you think might be controversial
· Any documentary or other material (including any copyright applying thereto) you are provided with or created by you in respect of your volunteering will be the property and copyright of English Heritage (unless otherwise agreed in writing).
What can I expect from English Heritage?
· A welcoming and enjoyable experience
· To be treated fairly and with respect
· Recognition and appreciation for your contribution
· A full induction and training programme with on-going support
· A volunteer pass allowing free entry to English Heritage properties is available on completion of 60 hours and four months of volunteering
· Reimbursement of reasonable local travel costs between home and volunteering location within agreed limits
· A certificate to demonstrate work carried out for English Heritage is available on request to show future employers or further education providers
· You will be covered by English Heritage’s own indemnity arrangements in respect of all liabilities that may result from your appointment as a volunteer.