We provide information, advice, training and support to the voluntary and community sectors across Somerset. We also run the Volunteer Service, inspiring people to get involved and make a difference ...
Scan me or visit www.sparkachange.org.uk/o/Spark-Somerset/opportunities/Vaccination-Buddy/38198 to join
SummaryAs a Vaccination Buddy, you will play an important part in helping people to make informed decisions about whether to have the Covid-19 vaccination.
We know that some groups of people are more likely to be at risk from Covid-19 and it’s long-term effects. These are also the people most likely to be worried about having the vaccination. Because medical professionals are so busy at the moment, we would like to match specially trained volunteers (the Vaccination Buddies) with these people to help them to make informed decisions about whether they should have the vaccination.
(This project is funded by and delivered in partnership with Public Health at Somerset County Council.)
How will it work?
People who are worried about having the vaccine will be referred to Spark Somerset, who will match them with a buddy. Vaccination buddies will make calls from their own phone at a scheduled time, blocking their number.
What does a Vaccination Buddy do?
- Attend a short training course on Zoom.
- Have scheduled telephone calls with people who are unsure about having the Covid-19 vaccination and support them to make decisions that are right for them.
- Keep up to date on the latest developments via information provided by Spark Somerset and Somerset County Council.
- Keep in touch with the project coordinator to let them know how things are going.
Buddies are not expected to be experts, or take responsibility for what people eventually decide to do after the phone call.
We’d like buddies to have the following skills and qualities:
· Interest in helping people to stay healthy.
· Positive and supportive attitude to the vaccination roll out.
· Good communicators.
· To be reliable and dependable
· Have a sensitive and caring attitude towards others.
· Ability to understand and share information about Covid-19 vaccinations.
Benefits for volunteers:
· Opportunity to have access to the latest information about the vaccination programme.
· Build your confidence talking to people from different backgrounds.
· Learn about support agencies and services available in Somerset.
· Understanding of and respect for the need for confidentiality
We may ask volunteers to carry out an Enhanced DBS Check.