Panel volunteer (YOT) - Various locations across Somerset
If you are interested in supporting young people, this role could be for you and gives you the opportunity to help a young person. You will work alongside other Panel Members and the Youth Offending Service Youth Justice Practitioners to devise individual and imaginative programmes of work to address young people’s offending behaviour.
Referral Order Panel Members will work alongside young people who have been convicted of committing offending behaviour to agree a contract of work to repair the harm of their offending behaviour and engage in interventions to reduce their risk of reoffending. The contract is drawn up in line with the principles of restorative justice and young people are given an opportunity to take responsibility for their offence and agree to undertake reparation to the victim or community. Their parents/carers and members of the Youth Offending Service will also form part of these discussions and contracts of work.
Referral Order Panel Members are supervised and supported and may have the opportunity to be part of a Referral Order Steering Group to shape the way that Referral Orders are run in Somerset.
The volunteering role includes:
1. Take part in Referral Order Panels
2. To work with the young person to agree a contract
3. To make sure the young person fully understands the contract agreed
4. Work towards helping the young person not re-offend
5. Use of Restorative Justice Conferencing where appropriate
6. To include the views of the victim when devising the contract
7. To facilitate the progress meetings of young people recognising their achievements and work so far.
8. To consider, where appropriate, whether young people should be returned to court for a formal review of their order.
We are currently not recruiting for this role, but hope to be in the near future. However if you would like to be added to our waiting list, please complete the enquiry form. When the volunteering role becomes available, we'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you would be interested in another volunteering role, we'd still love to hear from you. Thank you!