Open Mental Health - Volunteering Buddy
Scan me or visit www.sparkachange.org.uk/o/Open-Mental-Health---Spark-Volunteering/opportunities/Open-Mental-Health---Volunteering-Buddy/29796 to join
SummaryWe are looking for volunteer buddies, people who can support and encourage others to get involved with volunteering. Can you see yourself in this role?
You will be volunteering with Spark Somerset, one of the Somerset Open Mental Health partners.
Open Mental Health is a new service offering 24/7 support to adults in Somerset. Whatever the worry - anxiety, debt, employment, housing, low mood, addiction – Open Mental Health is here to help.
Open Mental Health, supports people to live a full life by enabling access to specialist mental health support, debt and employment advice, community activities, exercise, and volunteering.
Volunteering has many benefits, it’s a great way to improve health and well-being and helps to create thriving, caring communities.
People who have experienced mental illness often find it difficult to get involved in community activities, including volunteering, taking the first steps can be the hardest part. So, this role has been created to encourage people to start the process and join the volunteering community.
You might help someone for all or part of their journey; starting the search for a volunteer role, completing forms, using IT or making phone calls, maybe going along with them for the first time and keeping in touch afterwards to see how it went, offering the right support when it is needed.
We are looking for people who:
- Have personal experience and knowledge of living with mental illness, either your own or someone you know.
- Are friendly, kind and compassionate.
- Might have previous mentoring experience.
- Are willing to support other people as equals.
- Can commit to volunteering for 2 hours a week. This is very flexible - it could be two hours a week on a regular day, or two hours a week to be arranged between partners.
What you'll get out of it:
- A truly positive experience of shared achievements with the person you are mentoring.
- Useful experience if you are thinking about a career in Community Health Services.
- A chance to meet new people from all kinds of backgrounds.
If you would like to support someone to make the first steps into volunteering, please get in touch.
Tell us a little bit about yourself and why you’re motivated to volunteer with Spark Somerset & Open Mental Health, and we’ll get back to you soon.
This is a new volunteer opportunity so you may not start immediately.
References are required.
DBS check (depending on type of volunteering)
Volunteers are needed across somerset.
Volunteer remotely or at volunteer project premises eg charity shop, conservation project.
Covid-19 restrictions apply of course!