In the Mix Project (ITMP) is a local registered charity (no. 1161486) that provides youth and community services across Somerset. ITMP provides professional youth work support and advice to young ...
Volunteer Youth Worker
SummaryTo work as part of the ITMP Team to support and assist in the delivery of our work with children, young people and communities.
This role provides opportunity to gain valuable experience working with young people and learn new skills, in accordance with our policies and procedures. To support the delivery and evaluation of identified youth and community provision across a spectrum of daytime, twilight, evening and weekends. To establish positive working relationships and work with young people in a way that involves young people and meets their identified needs.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES WILL INCLUDE:
- To support delivery of youth and community opportunities
- Working with young people in the 8-18 age range (or up to 25 where young people have additional needs),
- taking part and getting involved.
- To act as an advocate for young people's interests and provide them a role model
- To develop a relationship with children and young people or others accessing ITMP services, based on respect
- and trust, ensuring they have a safe place to develop their identity and place in society.
- To establish boundaries and challenge inappropriate behaviour.
- To support model quality practice in the delivery and evaluation of youth work programmes
- To support ensure that in all respects of direct delivery, relevant policies and good practice are adhered to.
- These include safeguarding, health and safety, and equality and diversity, amongst others. For full information
- see employee handbook and policy framework.
- To access regular training and development opportunities in line with role and level of involvement.
- To be an effective member and contribute to ITMP developments and its delivery.
- To establish supportive and effective working relationships with colleagues.
- The post holder may be required to undertake additional duties commensurate with the level of this post,volunteers are encouraged to contribute as much as they are comfortable with.
The work requires moderate physical effort. The post holder will be required to pack and transport resources and to support young people in a range of indoor and outdoor environments, which may include some lifting and carrying.
The post holder will work at a variety of locations, this may be our office base and youth centre, outdoor space as well as other community locations. The post holder will refer to our policy framework to ensure safe and appropriate working conditions.
Post holder will engage with wide range of contacts and relationships whilst undertaking the role. The post holder may work with:
- Young people aged 8-18yrs
- Core Network young leaders • Staff
- • Visitors
- It is possible you may engage with other agencies, partner organisations or statutory organisations such as schools.
While the days and times that volunteers offer their support can be flexible, ITMP does ask volunteers to be consistent with the days and times they volunteer and commit to the role and its requirements.
Volunteer support enhances our work, enabling us to provide wider support to young people and utilise the extra skills volunteers bring within our delivery. As a volunteer you will receive general induction into youth and community work, training on safeguarding and other relevant areas or tasks. All volunteers will receive feedback and supervision of work and tasks.