Independent Living Volunteer - North Somerset
Scan me or visit www.sparkachange.org.uk/o/British-Red-Cross1/opportunities/Independent-Living-Volunteer---North-Somerset/39904 to join
SummaryProvide health and social care support through our Independent Living service that aims to support people experiencing a health crisis.
For people leaving hospital, adjusting to life at home can be a difficult time. Helping someone get their essential shopping, pick up their prescription or get the heating turned on can make all the difference for them to feel safe at home.
This role covers Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire areas. The service operates every day of the week from 10 am to 8pm and we are looking for volunteers who have a minimum of two hours per week. You need to have a driving licence that entitles you to drive in the UK and have access to your own vehicle.
Why we want you:
If you are compassionate and like helping and meeting people, then this could be the role for you. Volunteers like you support people who are leaving hospital, helping to build their confidence so that they can continue to live independently in their own home.
What you will be doing:
- Visit people in hospital as they are getting ready to go home.
- Bring people home from hospital.
- Help someone settle in when they first arrive home.
- Support with shopping and collecting prescriptions.
- Help people find further support if they need it.
- Keep records of tasks.
The skills you need:
- Warm and friendly with empathy for others.
- Good communication skills.
- Encouraging and supportive.
- Enjoy meeting and spending time with new people.
- Can work independently and as a part of a team.
- Able to commit to a regular shift.
What's in it for you:
- Meet new people and be part of a dynamic and inclusive team.
- A great opportunity to develop your existing skills and gain new ones.
- All training and induction for the role (there is no charge for training).
- Reasonable pre-agreed travel expenses for the role including for attending training.
- An opportunity to be part of the world’s largest humanitarian organisation and the knowledge that you are making a difference to people’s lives.