Independent Living Volunteer - North Somerset
Location: Bridgwater & North Somerset
Commitment: Volunteers ideally should be able to commit to 2 hours per week between 9am - 8pm Monday-Friday. Age: 18 years+
Volunteers should live within North Somerset
Supporting your local community
If you are compassionate and like helping and meeting people, then this could be the role for you. Volunteers like you provide people in their local community with support to help them in a time of need possibly through illness, isolation or help build confidence after a stay in hospital.
As an Independent Living Service Volunteer, you will be helping with tasks such as enabling a discharge from hospital, transporting people to and from hospital and appointments, supporting people to cope in their home, helping people with mobility aids and signposting to other services in the area.
Spread the power of kindness with us and help make sure that those who need support get it.
Driving required: Volunteers for this role must be over 18 and be able to drive with access to their own vehicle
What you will be doing
As an IL Service Volunteer, the primary aim is to enable the service user to recover from their crisis and to receive practical and emotional support.
Below are some examples of what you might support with:
• Transporting the service user home from hospital.
• Visiting the service user on their arrival home from hospital and settling them in.
• Keeping someone company for a few hours at a time or providing support over the phone.
• Helping the person to regain independence by supporting them with practical tasks such as shopping and collecting prescriptions.
• Sitting with the service user and relieving the relative or carer of continuous care.
• Keeping paper records of contact and activities undertaken with the service user.
What's in it for you
• Meet new people and be part of a dynamic and inclusive team.
• A great opportunity to use your existing skills or gain new ones.
• An opportunity to be part of the world’s largest humanitarian organisation and the knowledge that you are making a positive difference to people’s lives.
• All training and induction for the role.
• Reasonable pre-agreed travel expenses for the role including for attending training.
• UK Resident
• Uphold the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross
• Enjoy meeting people and good people skills.
• Able to work independently and in a team.
• Able to commit to a regular shift.
• Confident to undertake training via a computer
Under-18s: The minimum age for this role is 18.
Covid-19 Health and Safety Statement
Please note those who are clinically extremely vulnerable can only volunteer from home at this time. Unfortunately, this means we cannot currently process applications for this role from people in this group.
Deployment into role will be subject to government guidelines and individual and building risk assessments.
This role is not exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.