Independent Living Support at Home Volunteer - Somerset
If you are compassionate and like helping and meeting people, then this could be the role for you. Volunteers like you provide people in their local community with support to help them in a time of need possibly through illness, isolation or help build confidence after a stay in hospital. Whether it is to help with shopping, taking to an appointment or checking in on someone over the phone, it makes a difficult and distressing time a little bit easier. Spread the power of kindness with us and help make sure that those who need support get it.
Location: Volunteers must live within 30 minutes drive of Taunton.
Availability: Service operates 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday. We are looking for volunteers who are able to give at least 2 hours per week on an adhoc basis.
Driving required: Must hold a driving licence that entitles you to drive in the UK and have access to your own vehicle.
What you will be doing -
Below are examples of some of the activities you may be involved in, please note because of the current pandemic we may not be involved in face-to-face support with service users.
• Visiting services users in their home.
• Providing companionship, including relieving a carer or relative for a short time.
• Support with shopping and collecting prescriptions.
• Assisting with transport to medical appointments.
• Keeping records of your activities at appointments.
What's in it for you
• Meet new people and be part of a dynamic and inclusive team.
• A great opportunity to use your existing skills or gain new ones.
• An opportunity to be part of the world’s largest humanitarian organisation and the knowledge that you are making a positive difference to people’s lives.
• All training and induction for the role.
• Reasonable pre-agreed travel expenses for the role including for attending training.
• UK Resident
• Uphold the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross.
• Enjoy meeting people, a good listener and good people skills.
• Able to work independently and in a team.
• Able to commit to a regular shift.
• Confident to undertake training via a computer.
Under-18s: The minimum age for this role is 18.
Covid-19 Health and Safety Statement
Please note those who are clinically extremely vulnerable can only volunteer from home at this time. Unfortunately, this means we cannot currently process applications for this role from people in this group.
Deployment into role will be subject to government guidelines and individual and building risk assessments.
This role is not exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
This role requires applicants undergo a DBS - Enhanced with Adult Barred List check.