Emergency Response Volunteer
Scan me or visit www.sparkachange.org.uk/o/British-Red-Cross1/opportunities/Emergency-Response-Volunteer/27650 to join
SummaryWhen there is a fire, flood or severe weather, we’re among the first to respond.
When there is a fire, flood or severe weather, we’re among the first to respond. From making a cup of tea to trekking through snow and sleet to deliver the essentials, we work with other organisations to do what’s needed straight away.
We are looking for people who:-
• Live within 30 minutes of the British Red Cross (BRC) office in Taunton (TA2 6BD)
• Can do one 6 hour shift per week or two 12 hour shifts per month on a 24/7 rota
• Attend meetings usually held on 1st Monday evening of each month either via zoom or at the Taunton office (approx. 1 hour)
• Have access to their own vehicle and happy to drive a BRC vehicle
Why we want you:
Working alongside the local emergency services every day, from house fires and flooding to power cuts and water shortages, the British Red Cross responds to an emergency almost every 4 hours.
As an Emergency Response Volunteer, you will give people the support they need at a time they need it the most.
What you will be doing:
- Respond to emergency call outs in your local area.
- Give emotional support to people and communities affected by an emergency.
- Give practical support such as distributing clothing, food or water after an emergency.
- Tell people where they can get extra support.
- Collaborate with local government or emergency services staff.
The skills you need
- Warm and friendly.
- Calm and can follow processes under pressure.
- Good listening skills and ability to empathise.
- Can communicate in a calm manner.
- Able to act responsibly.
What's in it for you
- Meet new people and be part of a dynamic and inclusive team.
- A great opportunity to develop your existing skills and gain new ones.
- All training and induction for the role (there is no charge for training).
- Reasonable pre-agreed travel expenses for the role including for attending training.