Somerset FCT is a registered mental health charity providing very low cost counselling and support to children and adolescents.
The number of children facing depression, anxiety, self harm, eating ...
(FCT) is a registered mental health charity providing key early intervention psychological support to children and young people (up to age 18) from families predominantly on low incomes. The Somerset committee is a lovely, keen and supportive group with lots of vision, supported by a range of qualified therapists.
About the role
The Chair leads the county committee, ensuring that:
- the objects of the Charity are carried out in accordance with FCT policy and best practice;
- decisions of the Board are implemented;
- there are sufficient practitioners in the county to manage current business;
- and the county raises sufficient funds (taking account of grants from FCT Centre) to cover the cost of operations, pay an agreed share of central costs and maintain a working reserve.
Beyond that the Chair should:
- Recruit and lead the members of the County Committee.
- Represent the county at the FCT Board.
- Hold periodic meetings of the County Committee to oversee current operations.
- Oversee the work of the county Family Liaison Officer
- Submit a brief report to the FCT Treasurer at year end to inform the annual report and accounts.
- Ensure there is effective succession planning in place for the county committee.
The County Chair need not have a clinical background, though an understanding of mental health issues is extremely helpful. S/he will work as a volunteer though reasonable expenses may be
The number of children facing depression, anxiety, self harm, eating disorders and other mental health conditions has doubled in recent years. The Covid crisis has seen a further escalation of problems for this age group. NHS support is often delayed or not available. We offer timely support to this really needy group of young people when there is no other support available. Our parent organisation (Family Counselling Trust) supports us in this aim.