Pantry Hub Deputy Team Leader
Community Pantry feeding residents in your local area, all while stopping good food
About The Local Pantry:
The Local Pantry combines surplus food and the help of volunteers to create nutritious food parcels for the community. Members of The Local Pantry receive a weekly parcel (containing a variety of items worth in excess of the membership fee) paying just £3.50 per week, freeing up more money for essentials and reducing food waste.
We have 3 main aims:
• To improve nutrition and reduce hunger
• To strengthen communities while encouraging friendships
• To stop food going to landfill
What does a Pantry Deputy Team Leader do?
Each community pantry is run by a volunteer Team Leader and Deputy Team Leader, who ensure that the pantry runs smoothly and supports their local community to receive their food parcel every week.
The Deputy Team Leader supports the Team Leader in the running of the pantry and is the go-to contact when the Team Leader is not around. At those times, you will be called on to take charge of the pantry and be responsible for supervising, managing and motivating a team of up to 9 volunteers, who will organise the food, greet guests and serve food parcels – all under your guidance! As Deputy Team Leader, you’ll help create a friendly and efficient working environment, whilst maintaining high food hygiene standards. You may also be asked to assist with organising the volunteer rota and decisions about the day-to-day running of the pantry.
Deputy Team Leaders are passionate, committed and want to make a positive change within their community, and do this while helping to create a warm, friendly atmosphere that will make both volunteers and guests want to return each week.
To apply for this role, you should be:
• A good communicator, with a good level of written and spoken English
• A good motivator, acting as a source of support and encouragement for others
• A team player, with a good level of leadership confidence
• Well organised and able to work on own initiative
• Able to use Microsoft Office packages, email and social media
The Team Leader and Deputy Team Leader roles are subject to DBS checks.
Skills you will develop
• Teamwork: you will manage volunteer expectations, listen to their concerns and support their development.
• Leadership and delegation: we will train you up to lead pantry sessions and deliver volunteer inductions.
• Safeguarding: we will further your knowledge and improve your skills to help you deal with safeguarding issues safely and proportionately.
• Relationship building: you will build lasting relationships with both members and volunteers, ensuring they return each week.
What to expect from us:
• Ongoing, regular visits, support and advice from the Pantry Project Manager
• Expenses covered in line with our volunteer policy
• Training throughout the year, including safeguarding and first aid • Impressive skills to add to your CV and a reference if/when you need it
• Accredited Level 2 food safety qualification
• The opportunity to meet a large network of like-minded people
• A fun, creative volunteer experience with ownership over a community-led project
Safeguarding is Everyone’s business – The Local Pantry is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare and wellbeing of children, young people and adults at risk. It expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.