The Balsam Centre is an independent charity set up by local people for local people, focusing on mental health and wellbeing - providing groups and activities to minimise loneliness and isolation, and ...
Walk Leader / Co-leader - Open Mental Health
Scan me or visit www.sparkachange.org.uk/o/The-Balsam-Centre/opportunities/Walk-Leader--Co-leader---Open-Mental-Health/27919 to join
SummaryNeed to get out more? Want to walk with other people? Become a Walk Leader!
About our organisation:
The Balsam Centre is committed to helping people to maintain good mental health and we run various groups and activities to prevent loneliness and isolation.
Walking with others provides an opportunity to socialise and is good for wellbeing.
- The Short Walk is 50 minutes long in-and-around Wincanton starting and ending at The Balsam Centre. There may be some inclines and field paths, and the route varies each week.
- Our Long Walk is between 3 and 5 miles long, following public footpaths in rural areas, with the starting point varying each week - usually within 40 minutes drive from Wincanton.
- The Buggy Walk takes place at Stourhead every other week, walking around the lake, with pushchairs and prams.
- Each walk or Walk Leader has a kit bag with high viz vests for the lead / co-lead and a first aid kit.
The walks have a leader at the front, and a co-leader at the back. Leaders and co-leaders can change roles for each walk, but some volunteers prefer to be co-leaders and not plan or lead the walks - there is no pressure to take a leading/planning role.
All volunteers are trained by an experienced walk leader with a 2 hour course followed by a walk. Generally, people chose the level of walk they want to volunteer for - although you can volunteer for more than one group.
That's the role, so what are we looking for in our volunteers?
- You enjoy walking and are able to complete the length of walk you volunteer for.
- You are friendly and approachable - you will be the "face" of the walk, so you will be greeting people on the walk and welcoming new walkers.
- Commitment. Some of our leaders do walk every week but most walk once a month. You can even walk once every 2 months but we need a commitment that you will be able to walk the date you have agreed to.