Independent Living Service Volunteer (Somerset)
Scan me or visit www.sparkachange.org.uk/o/British-Red-Cross1/opportunities/Independent-Living-Service-Volunteer-Somerset/29924 to join
SummaryThis volunteer role provides support to the whole of Somerset and helps people home from Musgrove Park and Yeovil District Hospital.
For people leaving hospital, adjusting to life at home can be a difficult time. Helping someone get their essential shopping, pick up their prescription or get the heating turned on can make all the difference for them to feel safe at home.
This volunteer role provides support to the whole of Somerset and helps people home from Musgrove Park and Yeovil District Hospital.
We would like you to:
- Live within Somerset
- Volunteer for a minimum of 2 hours a week, Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm
- Be able to drive and have access to a vehicle
If you are compassionate and like helping and meeting people, then this could be the role for you. Volunteers like you support people who are leaving hospital, helping to build their confidence so that they can continue to live independently in their own home.
What you will be doing:
- Visit people in hospital as they are getting ready to go home.
- Bring people home from hospital.
- Help someone settle in when they first arrive home.
- Support with shopping and collecting prescriptions.
- Help people find further support if they need it.
- Keep records of tasks.
The skills you need:
- Warm and friendly with empathy for others.
- Good communication skills.
- Encouraging and supportive.
- Enjoy meeting and spending time with new people.
- Can work independently and as a part of a team.
- Able to commit to a regular shift.
What's in it for you:
- Meet new people and be part of a dynamic and inclusive team.
- A great opportunity to develop your existing skills and gain new ones.
- All training and induction for the role (there is no charge for training).
- Reasonable pre-agreed travel expenses for the role including for attending training.
- An opportunity to be part of the world’s largest humanitarian organisation and the knowledge that you are making a difference to people’s lives.